Thursday 8 January 2009

how to use your hands....

Teaching pensioners how to use their hands when it comes to art was a true challenge. Many of them had no experience whatsoever with drawing- but yet they knew how to paint. I was pretty confused as I was always taught to walk before you leap, that is to draw before you paint! They had basic skills but more like a child draws in school. Don't get me wrong some of them were good but don't think half of them were listening to what I was trying to explain...or maybe they couldn't hear!

Anyway enough popping at the elderly..Poynton (near Manchester) was a nice little village, we had no trouble finding it either which was a suprise. They had booked me in for 10am although I was running late- I was so nervous my palms were sweating! They all sat in a semi-circle while I positioned myself at the front of the group. The tutor introduced me and, thankfully, said to the group that it was my first time so be gentle!

From 10 till 11ish I chatted about my life as an artist, our friendship with Stan Laurel's daughter, Lois and the materials I use everyday. They were shocked of how little I used but I make up for it with techniques!

They were generally interested in what I did and for one so young too, these were people who just did art as a past time so to meet someone who did it for a career was enthralling for them. I was pleased to interact with them individually, pointing out corrections and advising them with what they could do next etc...

The best part was they paid me to stand in front of a group, talking and demonstrating what I love doing best. Maybe a possible career move...just maybe...

No comments: