Thursday 15 January 2009

black & white vs colour




Having used black and white pencils for so long- 5 years to be exact! I thought I would try my hand at colour. Especially for portraits and pets. The previous artist at the mill used coloured pastels and they were pretty effective and I believe they flew off the shelves! Well they must have done if she was there 15 years!! She can't have done that bad...

This will be a pretty big experiment for me- I've always thought colour can ruin a portrait especially of a person- black and white is so much clearer, and having had gotten used to it, it will be a real challenge to compare the two mediums. These pencils I'm using however look good, well they're from a good make. I've been informed that Derwent provide the best equipment for an artist..and if I make a great job of it then I could even inform the company to see if they are interested in sponsoring me, that way you get the materials you need for free!

These pencils are simple 'drawing' pencils- very subtle colours that will work well with my drawings and frames etc...here's hoping they live up to their name!!

No comments: